Join us for our next Single Member District 5C07 Community Meeting:
Time: 11:00 AM
Date: Saturday, April 4
Location: Langdon Rec Center, 2901 20th Street NE
We have a few things before us, so it should be a full meeting. Currently on the agenda:
- Zeke’s Coffee at 2300 Rhode Island Ave is applying for a permit to have a sidewalk cafe.
- Good Food Markets at 2006 Rhode Island Ave is applying for a grocery liquor license to sell beer and wine.
- A restaurant to be called ‘Provost’ is proposed for 2129 Rhode Island Ave NE (between the Post Office and the Chinese carry-out) and they’re applying for a liquor license.
I know there is some excitement in the neighborhood with Zeke’s and Good Food Markets opening recently (myself included!). If you’ve got feedback – positive or negative, or if you just have question – on these permit applications please come to the meeting, bring a neighbor and take part in the discussion.
If you can’t make the meeting, feel free to email me. Your feedback helps me get a sense of what the concerns are of the neighbors and where the community stands.
After this meeting I’ll be looking to bring these before the entire ANC 5C Commission at our April meeting on Wed, April 15 (7pm, at the 5th District MPD HQ).
I didn’t get a chance to give this update in the SMD meeting last Saturday, so here’s a quick update of what the entire 5C Adivsory Neighborhood Commission has been up to.
We held our first meeting on Wednesday, January 16 at 7pm at the 5th Police District Headquaters. We elected our slate of officers and they are:
Chair – Jacqueline Manning
Vice-Chair – Antonette E.Russell
Treasurer – Nolan Treadway
Secretary – Marjorie D. Thomas-Barnes
We discussed two liquor licenses that are pending in the ANC, both are in the new Rhode Island Row development at the Rhode Island Avenue-Brentwood metro stop. The restaurants that applied are Sala Thai and Carolina Kitchen. We were not able to take a vote on these licenses, as some of the fine points of the applications were still being worked out.
We were also scheduled to discuss a proposed expansion of Israel Baptist Church (at Brentwood Road, Saratoga and 12th Street. On the south side of Rhode Island Avenue, but not the church right on the Avenue), but we did not have the information on hand to discuss it.
We did not adopt by-laws because we were still trying to figure out some of the changes we’d like to make, so we tabled that until our February meeting.
Our February meeting will take place on Wednesday, February 20th at 7pm at the 5th District Police Headquarters. (A meeting that I unfortunately won’t be able to attend)
Just a reminder that I’m holding my first single member district meeting this Saturday, please come!
Date: Saturday, January 26
Location: Woodridge Library (18th and Rhode Island Ave NE), Room #1, Upstairs
I originally thought the agenda would be pretty light, but that is hardly the case now. The agenda will include:
- Chuck Brown Park – Officials from DC Government will be on hand to discuss the new Chuck Brown Park (formerly half of Langdon Park). Confirmed to attend are DC Department of General Services (DGS, who would build the new amphitheater/park) and Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR, who would presumably manage it)
- Update from Councilmember McDuffie’s office – The Councilmember himself has a prior engagement and may or may not be able to come by, but his staff will be on hand to give an update.
- Update on a new restaurant coming to Rhode Island Avenue (last update we got was via the Rhode Island Avenue Insider). The owner, Brookland resident Oliver Friendly, will give us an update now that interior construction has begun.
- And, of course, community announcements and general questions/discussion
I’m looking forward to having a great meeting and don’t hesitate to reach out to me if you’ve got questions in advance of the meeting.