Thanks all who were able to make it out on Wednesday night. I know the late notice prevented some from making it, but we will catch you up!
At the meeting I handed out a somewhat comprehensive FAQ (PDF) on the whole situation and the protest, but let highlight some next steps and important points:
- MAKE SURE YOU’VE SIGNED ONE OF THE OFFICIAL PETITIONS – Signing the petition is the only way to certify yourself as a protestant and be able to testify at the final protest hearing.
- MARK YOU CALENDAR FOR MONDAY, NOVEMBER 30 AT 10:00 AM – This is the Alcohol Beverage Control (ABC) Roll Call hearing and we’re trying to get a good turnout so that we can show the ABC Board that the community is strongly opposed to this liquor license
- Come out tomorrow, Saturday, November 14 at 11:00 AM for about an hour as we canvass the area around SIP. We’re meeting at Good Food Market at11am and we’ll focus on the block of Irving between 18th and 20th to get those folks signed on to the petition.
- Get signatures on your own! If you want to get some signatures on your own, you can download a PDF of the official petition here. Just please make sure that either Kevin or myself have any petition signatures by this Sundaynight (Monday is the day we’ll be turning them in)
- Do you know a notary in the neighborhood who would help with this project? We’ll need one to help us out in the coming months.
Thanks to everyone who has stepped up to help with this effort. Despite the circumstances, it is great to see neighbors coming out and working together. I believe that we will win!
THIS Wednesday we will hold a meeting for those wanting to testify and contribute to the protest of the proposed liquor license for 2066 Rhode Island Ave NE.
DATE: Wednesday, November 11
TIME: 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
LOCATION: King Soloman Grand Lodge, 2245 Rhode Island Ave NE
WHAT: meeting of neighbors to discuss next steps in protesting the proposed ‘tavern’ for 2066 Rhode Island Ave NE
Also mark your calendars for November 30, which is the first roll call hearing. It’s good to have a strong showing at these meetings. At the November 30th hearing the board will establish the other upcoming hearings/meetings. At the eventual, actual hearing before the ABC Board, only people who signed the petition will be able to testify (or submit notarized testimony).
If you want to take part but can’t make it Wednesday email me or Kevin Mullone firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please come our next community meeting on Oct 13, Tuesday night, we’ll be breaking the meeting into two halves to address two issues:
- 6:30-7:15 PM – New liquor license application for 2066 Rhode Island Ave NE
- 7:15-8:00 PM – Public Safety discussion with DC Metro Police Dept
Location: Langdon Park Recreation Center, 2901 20th Street NE
Date: Tuesday, October 13
6:30 PM – 7:15 PM – New “Tavern” for 2066 Rhode Island Ave NE ?
- Discussion of the application for a new “tavern” at 2066 Rhode Island Ave NE (most recently this building was ‘Dura Auto Sales’).
- The application is from the same operators of the club “SIP” located a few blocks down at 1812 Hamlin St NE.
- The application is for a “new tavern serving Caribbean food. Entertainment to include live bands, dancing, cover charge and DJ’s. Total Occupancy Load is 350. Sidewalk Café with 35 seats.”
- Proposed operating hours would be until 2am on weeknights, 3am on weekends.
- Representatives from the proposed establishment have been invited.
7:15 PM – 8:00 PM – Public safety and recent neighborhood violent crime
- At 7:15 PM officers from DC Metro Police Department will join us.
- Tragically, we have lost several members of our community due to violence this year. We have also had numerous and ongoing reports of gunfire around the neighborhood.
- What are the police and DC government doing? What can we as neighbors and as a community do?